Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Moments When Your World Stops

In the past year I've had many of these moments. Moments where your world seems to stand still and everything that once mattered no longer does. The first time would be when I found out I was expecting. I didn't know how a child would fit into our life at the time. I was overwhelmed and so scared of the future. Nothing else seemed to matter. The second was when I heard that Landon's heart was broken. My world stopped. Our lives were changed. Nothing else mattered. I will never be able to explain the feeling you have when your waiting outside of the OR. Life seems to be moving on, but yours is suspended in time. You don't know what to say or what you should do. Nothing else matters except that fragile little life that you know is also hanging in time.

Today I experienced another one of those moments when I saw my brothers post on Facebook, thanking God that everyone was still alive. I clicked on the link and was taken to his blog where he explained what had happened today. He was sitting at the skate shop that YWAM owns and he works at, checking emails and listening to music when all of a sudden he heard a scream and a loud crash. There was stuff flying everywhere! A woman had blacked out, hit another parked car, which redirected her SUV right through the board shop. It is a miracle that no one was killed or even injured. As I was reading this, I was shaking. I've heard of stuff like this happening on the news, but could something this crazy happen to someone I love? "

I know babies are born with defects and diseases everyday, but it couldn't actually happen to my baby. Up until this year I would say that my life had been pretty untouched by tragedy, but this year God has taught me that no one is safe from death. My brother wrote in his blog that "life is fragile." I remember writing the same thing in a past post.

I don't think that God wants us to wait around for a near death experience before we realize just how precious each breath is that he allows us and the ones we love to take is. Me and my brother had a Skype date planned for later today. I cannot imagine how I would handle it if he died today and I never got to see him one last time and tell him how much I love him. My prayer is that this post will remind all of us today that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. We put so much focus and time into things that won't satisfy and won't last. I think my brother said it best in his blog, "If you haven't put your faith in Jesus, don't wait." Make peace with God and make peace with those you love. Life is to fragile to wait until tomorrow.

Please keep my brother and the rest of his Youth With A Mission (YWAM) team in Australia in your prayers. There was much damage done that needs to be repaired. Most of all pray that God receives glory through this. It's all over the news there, and it truly is a miracle that everyone walked out alive.

No comments: